God’s Work Our Hands Sunday
• Wednesday, September 04th, 2013
God’s Work, Our Hands Sunday is THIS Sunday!
This Sunday we will be celebrating the 25th anniversary of our national church denomination, the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA). We mark this joyous occasion with a special service project to fill 500 school kits for Lutheran World Relief.
Lutheran World Relief (LWR) is an organization that provides assistance to children and families in developing countries. Their school kit program provides basic education supplies to children whose parents cannot afford them. For many children having access to these simple supplies can make the difference between receiving an education or not. The school kits have a huge impact in a developing country. 20 kits can support one classroom for a semester. 200 kits can supply a school in a refugee camp for an entire year. Can you imagine the impact of 500 school kits?
What can you do?
1) Show up this Sunday! In between our worship services and after our 11:15 service we will be assembling the kits in the Fireside room. We need a lot of hands to gather the supplies and place the appropriate amount in each kit. Together we can fill all 500! What a perfect way to celebrate God’s Work, Our Hands Sunday – gathered in community, using our hands for service in God’s world.
2) Bring your filled school kit with you! If you’ve already purchased a schoolbag from the wall at church and have filled it with supplies, please remember to bring it with you this Sunday.
3) Bring school supplies to fill a bag! If you’ve been waiting to purchase a bag and fill it with school supplies that you’ve already purchased – great! This is the Sunday! To meet our goal of filling 500 school kits we need a lot of supplies, so please consider donating some extra school supplies too. We still need more notebooks, pens, pencils, scissors, boxes of 16 or 24 crayons, pencil sharpeners and 30-centimeter rulers.
4) Donate $$$ to help us reach our goal of filling 500 school kits! Donate $10 this Sunday to cover the cost of the bag, supplies and shipping for one school kit. If you donate $10 for a school kit you will receive a FREE copy of the famous GA cookbook as a special thank you. Freewill donations gladly accepted.
5) Pray and give thanks! Take time this week and Sunday to pray for the families and children who will receive these kits from our congregation and remember to give thanks for this opportunity to share God’s love and bounty with our global sisters and brothers.
Challenge: How many bags can your family commit to filling and donating?
LWR urgently needs more school kits. Check out their blog to learn more: http://blog.lwr.org/2013/08/we-need-more-quilts-kits/
To learn more about the school kits check out this link: http://lwr.org/getinvolved/kits
See you on Sunday!